Now, You Can Have it ALL!

This spectacular collection of delicious gourmet style goodies, all made without refined sugar and with a minimum of refined flour, will allow you to stay with your Low-Carb or Diabetic eating plan, even for holidays and family celebrations.


Delicious enough for the most discriminating palate; even your most sugar addicted friends won’t guess!

Monday, March 4, 2013

BROWNIES!!!!!

 Brownies were always my favorite treat--not growing up, my mom didn't make them--but later after I discovered the brownie recipe in ' The Joy of Cooking"  I was hooked!

I have tried in vain to make a decent low-carb Brownie- I tried every recipe i came across and experimented and experimented with a few interesting results, some kinda tasty, but nothing that I would deign to call a Brownie--ooey gooey chocolaty yumminess!  Until now!

after all my previous experiments, I knew quite a LOT about what didn't work and finally came up with a formula that did!-- not too much " flour"  something to sub for the sugar that would give the volume and gooey-ness-- in this case xylitol, and a not too long cooking time. Eh, voila!

Ingredients

2 ounces ( squares) unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter --one stick
2 eggs
1 cup xylitol
10 drops liquid splenda ( xylitol isn't as sweet as sugar so I bumped up the sweetness by using splenda)
1/4 cup "flour" mixture--*recipe below
splash of vanilla
pinch of salt.

Method

preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and prepare an 8x8 square baking pan--spaying with a non-stick spray and lining the bottom with baking parchment.

melt butter and chocolate together and set aside to cool.

beat eggs with electric mixer until light and thick then add the sweeteners and beat again until xylitol is dissolved and mixture is very light and thick.   add vanilla and salt then add the cooled chocolate-- I do this part by hand, mixing the chocolate in with a few swift strokes. Add the flour mixture and again fold it in just until mixed.  put into prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes until just set.--center and sill be a little gooey!

16 brownies at less than 1 carb each--if you don't count the xylitol--which I don't.  This is a once an a while treat for me.--they are pretty high calorie.  but oh so good heated up with a cuppa!

*Flour mix
11/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup dried egg whites
1/4 cup flax meal
2 tablespoon xanthan gum

mix together.  keep refrigerated.


No comments:

Post a Comment